Sunday, September 26, 2010

Planet Baobab: Chobe National Park, Botswana


I emerged from the bowels of the Delta no worse for the ware, although I was filthier than my dog that rolls around in its own poo. I mean, there was a definitive line of dirt from where my flip flops had been. SICK. Never has a shower felt so good, or rather...a huge running jump into this pool:


After the Delta, I arrived at our next campsite...Planet Baobab. This campsite was Heaven after the hot, sweaty Delta. My return to civilization was marked by the coolest decorations I've seen on my travels thus far! The bar had huge chandeliers made out of Black Label and Castle (South African beer) bottles, and vibe of the bar was Texas roadhouse meets Ikea...so fun, so...Africa.



Planet Baobab is named after the many Baobab trees that are present throughout the camp. The Baobab tree is pretty neat, as it towers above all of the other trees in the African Savannah. The Baobab is called the Tree of Life, and with good reason. It is capable of providing shelter, food and water for the animal and human inhabitants of the Savannah. The cork-like bark is fire resistant and is used for cloth and rope. The leaves are used for condiments and medicines. The tree is capable of storing hundreds of liters of water, which is tapped in dry periods. Mature trees are frequently hollow, providing living space for numerous animals and humans alike. Trees are even used as bars, barns and more!! The Baobab is also featured as the Tree of Life in the "Lion King" (ie: Rafiki's tree!) and is the centerpiece of the entire African Kingdom (in the Lion King, that is)!!!!!!!!! Radio-carbon dating has measured that age of some Baobab trees at over 2,000 years old!!!!!!!!

From Planet Baobab, we ventured into Chobe National Park, by way of boat and overland truck. Although I saw a lot of neat animals, the experience paled in comparison to what I saw during my trip to Kruger National Park. This time, I was able to see different animals--lots of crocodiles, hippos, and even a giant lizard called a "water monitor." My absolute favorite moment was on our boat ride back to camp, where against the setting sun, along the banks of the river was a lone bull elephant. Although the picture defies all conceptions of a "good" photograph (ie: the composition is weak, and it's incredibly back lit) I adore it. In so many ways, it exemplifies what my trip to Africa has given me: serenity.